Planning & Zoning
The Planning and Zoning department is in a Transition period.
We have had recent staff changes.
Permit review and issuance may take longer than normal.
Please be patient
THE COUNTY COURTHOUSE IS open. masks are recommended.
PLANNING AND ZONING ENCOURAGES THE PUBLIC TO CALL, TEXT OR EMAIL the OFFICE TO HAVE APPLICATION(S) SENT TO THEM or Apply on-Line.
walk-ins are welcome at the Zoning Office, but please call (715) 373-6138 to confirm availability of staff due to high permit volume and understaffing.
SATELLITE OFFICES IN BARNES, CABLE and Iron River are CLOSED.
Bayfield County has adopted a zoning code that is implemented by the Planning and Zoning Department for the purpose of:
- Promoting and protecting the public health, safety, convenience, and welfare
- To further the maintenance of safe and healthful conditions
- To prevent and control water pollution
- To protect spawning grounds, fish, and aquatic life
- To control building sites, placement of structures, and land uses
- To prevent overcrowding of any natural resource such as a lake, river, or stream
- To preserve shore cover and natural beauty
- To promote the better uses of scenic resources
All information contained in the Bayfield County Planning and Zoning pages is provided to inform property owners of minimum requirements and the information is subject to change. Contact the Bayfield County Planning and Zoning Office prior to building and/or developing any property for permits and the most current information.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released updated floodplain maps for Bayfield County. On December 16, 2011 Bayfield County adopted the new and more accurate floodplain maps. Potential home owners may or may not be affected by the updated versions. It should be noted that your lender makes the final determination of your flood hazard location and not Bayfield County (Please Do Not Call County regarding determination). Contact FEMA.