Enjoy the incredible scenery in Bayfield County, "Home of Wisconsin's National Treasures." Over 180 miles of ATV trails (PLUS hundreds of miles of Forest Roads) provide year 'round fun with frequent opportunities to stop at scenic vistas and great restaurants. Our trails are maintained by dedicated volunteers from area clubs in cooperation with the County Forestry & Parks Dept. and the USDA Forest Service.

Trail Conditions

 Read about Trail Conditions.


See the WI DNR rules for details about what is allowed/not allowed such as tracks.


Many designated ATV trails and all road routes in Bayfield County are also open to registered UTVs (designated with a solid line on the map). 


ATV/UTV maps (PDF) are available at area businesses and at locations that distribute visitor information.

In general, when riding through the area, remember to thank the businesses and organizations shown on the map. They work with the Bayfield County Tourism Department to make the map possible.

Trail Passes and Registration

Plan ahead for ATV Registrations and Trail Passes 

WI Residents – Your ATV/UTV must be registered in Wisconsin; a Trail Pass is NOT required.

Visitors – Your ATV/UTV must be registered somewhere; a Non-resident Trail Pass IS required.

Go to Go Wild Wisconsin.

Go Wild website

Trail Passes: Click on “Quick Catalog” in lower right-hand corner and then choose the trail pass that you’d like to purchase (have your registration number ready). A receipt will be issued upon completion of order and allows you to ride immediately. You must have a receipt (printed or electronic) with you as your temporary operating permit. Regardless of how you place your order, the physical decals will arrive in the mail in approximately two weeks.

Note: The 5-Day Trail Pass must be printed from a computer (on plain white paper) by the customer or at a Go Wild location once the purchase is complete; no decals are issued for this pass.

Registrations: For options, click on “License Options/All permits, licensing and registration” and then under Recreational choose “Registration & titling information.” Proceed with one of the processes outlined. For online registration, choose “Get Started” from the home page of the Go Wild website to create an account or access an existing account.

Off-Road Motorcycles/Dirt Bikes

The legal use of off-road motorcycles (dirt bikes) in Bayfield County is limited. Off-road motorcycles are not classified as ATVs, but as motorcycles. Motorcycles operated on public roadways are subject to registration, headlights and tail lamps, exhaust, proof of insurance, driver’s license, motorcycle endorsement, and all other applicable motor vehicle laws. Citations issued to motorcycle operators may affect driving record and DOT point assessments.

Off-road motorcycles (dirt bikes) are illegal to be operated on:

  • public highways, roadways, or forest roads; even if posted as an ATV route.
  • Bayfield County Forest Land or any trail in the Bayfield County Forest.
  • ATV trails on private property.
  • private property without consent of the owner.

Off-road motorcycles may be operated on the Tri County Corridor, ATV trails on the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, and on private property with the owner’s consent.

On-road/off-road motorcycles may operate on roadways, if motorcycle and operator meet requirements of motor vehicle laws, and may operate on ATV trails on the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest.

Motorcycles operated in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest must also have USFS approved exhaust and spark arrestor.

Contact Information

For visitor information or to receive a current Bayfield County ATV / UTV map, contact the Tourism Department. Email the Tourism Department. To report unsafe trail conditions contact the Forestry and Parks Department at 715-373-6114. You can also email the Forestry and Parks Department.

Phone Numbers

  • Bayfield County Tourism Department: 
  • Bayfield County Forestry & Parks Department: 
  • Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest:
    Great Divide District (Hayward)
    Washburn Ranger District
  • WI DNR:
    888-WDNR Info (888-936-7463)
  • Tri-County Corridor Commission: