News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/18/2018 1:45:23 PM to 6/1/2018 12:00:05 AM.

News Flash

Tourism

Posted on: May 18, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Tourism Provides Economic Boost

Wild Water Stream

Visitor spending is a key component in the tourism economy, but it doesn't stop there. Think of the businesses that need to purchase materials/ingredients in order to provide the items being purchased by visitors (including friends and family of area residents). Then think of the salaries paid to the employees of area businesses and how they spend it in the community. Even businesses that aren't thought of as "tourism businesses" benefit from the seasonal influx of visitors including grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations, auto repair & towing, etc.

Room tax is another way that our local municipalities benefit from visitors staying in the area - a community that has a room tax ordinance is able to utilize up to 30% of those dollars for their own town expenses while the other 70% goes to the local tourism entity to promote the area (usually a Chamber of Commerce in this area). The more dollars that come in, the more there is for everyone.

Yet another benefit to our local taxpayers is that sales tax helps to lower the tax levy. Bayfield County's sales tax has reached an all-time high again in 2017, providing over $1 million in revenues for three years in a row. Fore more information on the economic impact of tourism, see this summary of information collected by the Wisconsin Department of Tourism. Feel free to contact Mary Motiff in the Tourism Department with any questions or for further information.

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Tourism

Disaster Funding

Economic Injury Disaster Loans Available

Posted on: February 29, 2024