Keep Your Family Safe from Poison
Did you know that 93% of exposures reported to local poison control centers occur at home? (AAPCC)
By taking the following precautions, you can help keep you and your loved ones poison free.
- Keep all medications, poisons, and household chemicals away from children and food. Never leave them on a table or counter. Lock them up whenever possible.
- Teach children never to put medications or chemicals in their mouths unless an adult says it’s OK.
- Never store poison in food or beverage containers.
- Read all labels. Follow the instructions and measure carefully. Open and take medications only when the lights are on.
- Do not take medication in front of children since they like to copy adults.
- Never call medicine “candy” to get a child to take it.
- Never carry medicine in your purse or diaper bag, because children like to play with them. Children can open child-resistant or child-proof containers.
- Never mix cleaning products together.
The poison control center toll-free number is 1-800-222-1222. Store this number in your cell phone and/or keep it posted next to your landline.
American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), 2017. www.aapcc.org