Follow the tips and recommendations below to ensure your food is just as safe as it is delicious.
Store, Transport & Prepare Food Safely
• Use plenty of ice or freezer packs and an isolated cooler to transport your foods.
• Refrigerate or freeze perishable food within 2 hours of shopping or preparing; 1 hour when the temperature is above 90 °F.
• Don't pack your cooler until you're ready to leave. Keep foods refrigerated until ready to transport.
• Store foods in a separate container from drinks. This will avoid opening the cooler and keep food contents colder longer.
• Avoid putting the cooler in a trunk if possible put in an air conditioned area. Once at the picnic area, keep the cooler in the shade.
• Pack raw meats in the bottom of the cooler in case they leak. This will prevent contamination to other foods.
• Find separate preparation areas in the work space for raw and cooked food.
• Don't use the same platter that you use for raw meet for your grilled/cooked meat
• Wash cutting boards, dishes, utensils, and work surfaces frequently with hot, soapy water.
• Wash hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food and after using the bathroom, changing diapers, or handling pets.
• Always cook foods to USDA recommended minimum temperatures.
• If bringing carry-out food, eat within an hour of purchasing.
By Michelle Dale R.S.